Sunday, August 21, 2011

New England Edition

On my trip to New England, I saw some interesting signs. Why am I including signs from clear across the nation in a blog about Tucson? Just wait and see.

This sign almost looks like it could be found in Tucson, but the building it's attached to, made of bricks, and the surrounding, note the tree in the background, indicates otherwise.

I can almost see this sign in Tucson as well. But notice how the buildings near it are very different. Made of brick and well kept, these New English structures are a far cry from the cinder block constructions of Tucson.

I snapped this picture near the U-Mass campus in Lowell Mass. It reminds me of the Computer Store I took a picture of on Broadway. The difference here is that the building follows the New English Colonial Style as opposed to a uni-functional Cinder Block building.

This is the Salem Willows Arcade sign. I really like the sign because it looks like it's been standing there for several decades. The sign and the structure, look as similar to a Tucson sign and building, more than in any other picture. Of course the amount of decay it's experienced probably happened slower due to it being not as close to the equator and less susceptible to damage by heat and sunlight.
I think picture best illustrates my point the best, even though it is very similar to some Tucson signs, it, by virtue of being in New England, looks better and that is because of the environment it's in. I think what was done in Tucson was that people tried to adapt signage, among other things, from the Easter United States to the Southern Arizona climate with out much regard towards the climate. I think that the South West needs specific, specialized architecture and building design that follows different construction techniques from the east that are tailored to withstand the Sonoran desert climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment